History of the school
A Church of England primary school has occupied the present site of the school since 1871, and has enjoyed an excellent reputation for serving the local community for over 140 years. From 1st September 2013 our school status changed from C of E Primary School to C of E Primary Academy. This basically means that we have independence from the Local Authority control and have greater freedom over how we can use our budget to best benefit our pupils.
Our church school foundation is very important to us, and as such we are a part of the St Christopher’s Primary Multi Academy Trust. The Trust was set up by the Exeter Diocese to support schools in their continuous efforts to offer outstanding education for the children in our community. The Trust’s mission statement vows to follow the Christian values of compassion and service, and use leadership strength to ensure that the children and young people in our schools receive the best possible educational provision; whilst the adults employed to serve them are valued and challenged to be the best they can be – a wonderful path for us to follow.
The following gives the history of the school to date:
On September 29th 1871 a new school for boys was opened. ‘The new building, situated on high ground, overlooked the village of Heavitree’. There were two main classrooms, a small cloakroom and an indoor lavatory. About one hundred boys were divided into five classes.
In 1875 a Girls School was opened next to the Boys School. All children stayed at school until they were eleven years old. School House (now the dentist) used to be two houses – one side for the Headmaster of the Boys’ School and the other side was occupied by the Headmistress of the Girls’ School.
In 1937 the two schools were modernised and remodelled into one building and named Heavitree Mixed and Infants School.
In 1968 the school hall, kitchen and Year 4 classrooms were added.
In 1975 the school name was changed to Heavitree Middle School after the reorganisation of education in Exeter.
In 1996 the Year 7 block was opened.
In 1997 the school changed its name to St. Michael’s Church of England Middle School. The school has always been a Church School linked to St. Michael’s Parish Church in Heavitree, and founded to provide a Christian education for the children in the parish.
In 1998 the Year 6 classroom block was built to replace old classrooms.
In September 2005 St. Michael’s became a primary school for children aged 5 – 11, with a block of 3 classrooms refurbished for the younger children.
In September 2006 St Michael’s moved into the brand-new building as St Michael’s Church of England Primary School
On the 1st September 2013 the school became an academy and became known as St Michael’s Church of England Primary Academy
The school badge is based on the consecration cross which is to be found at the base of the tower of St Michael’s and All Angels Church Heavitree.